Dave Finds

How do I stop a feature update from installing on Windows 10 device

If you are looking to block or prevent a new feature update from installing in your Windows 10 device then this is the perfect blog to read. But first, why would anyone block or prevent a new feature update from installing? Because there is millions of reason and one of them is not everyone needs a feature update twice a year. Some always worried about the compatibility issues of their installed software, hardware with the new update version.

What happens If I didn’t choose to block or prevent the feature update?

Microsoft will force your Windows 10 device to upgrade to the next available version automatically without your concern. So, make sure you are upgrading your Windows 10 device before it’s reaching the end of service. For example, you are using Windows 10 version 1909 and as soon as Microsoft has released the next version Windows 10 version 2004 your device will be automatically downloaded and installed the new Windows 10 version 2004 update through Windows update.

Do I need to install every feature update on my Windows 10 PC?

Not needed, you are not required to install every feature update Microsoft releases but you have to make sure you are using the right version of Windows 10 which is under Microsoft support. You are fine to skip any version of Windows 10. For example, you are using Windows 10 version 1809 then you have the option to upgrade your PC to Windows 10 version 1903, Windows 10 version 1909, and Windows 10 version 2004. Here you have the option to choose or skip the next available version. But Microsoft always recommended installing the latest feature update to help keep your device secure and have it remain supported by Microsoft.

How do I stop a feature update from installing?

Till now we don’t have a direct option to block the feature from installing. Instead, we have the option to delay the feature update from installing in our device.

METHOD 1: Defer Feature Update Installation:

Windows 10 allows you to defer a feature update up to 365 days i.e. 1 whole year. So you can enable the defer option to prevent a new feature update installation in your Windows 10 device. When you defer feature updates, new Windows features will not be installed, downloaded for a period of time that is greater than the deferral period you have set. Deferring feature updates doesn’t affect security updates. Now quickly follow the below step and set the defer period to the maximum available date.

1. Open Settings app from Start Menu. Alternatively, you can press WIN+I keys together to open Settings directly.

2. Now click on Update and security item present in Settings app.

3. Once you open the Windows Update section, click on Advanced options link.

4. On Advanced Options page, under Choose when updates are installed section, look for A feature update includes new capabilities and improvements option.

Select 365 days using the drop-down box.

That’s it. Now no feature update will be installed on your computer for 1 year.

METHOD 2: Defer Feature Update Installation using Group Policy Editor:

To Deffer the Feature update installing using Group Policy Editor on Windows 10, use these steps:

1. Open Start.
    Search for gpedit.msc and select the top result to launch the Group Policy Editor.

2. Navigate to the following path:Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Windows Update for Business

3. Now open the Policy Select when Preview Builds and Feature Updates are received and Enabled it.

4. After Select the readiness level to Semi-Annual Channel and defer days to the maximum of 365 days

5. Now click Apply and Okay.

That’s it. Now no feature update will be installed on your computer for 1 year.